America has a growing older population, and there are a number of grants available to assist people in their golden years. These grants cover basic housing and health needs, education, health, and safety. It is more difficult to receive grant assistance as an individual, which means taking the extra step of applying through an organization or an agency.
Federal Grant Assistance
Grants are offered through several departments of the federal government. The following programs are available:
• Elderly Rental Housing and Mortgage Insurance. This ensures seniors have access to quality rental housing and protects mortgage lenders from a loss to create more rental opportunities for the elderly. As many seniors are forced to downsize when they can no longer care for their homes, access to affordable rentals is very important.
• Foster Grandparent Grant. This encourages limited-income seniors to volunteer and helps special-needs children in their communities, leading to loving bonds that may last for years.
• Capital Assistance for the Disabled Elderly. This grant provides funds to support seniors with their transportation needs where public transport is either unavailable or does not serve them appropriately. Seniors who can get out of the house regularly are more emotionally and mentally fit.
• Nutrition Services. This program provides financial assistance to tribal organizations and state agencies for food and other necessities. The food is provided by the Department of Agriculture and is used for home-delivery meal services, which may be an elderly person's only source of nutrition.
• Senior and Retired Volunteers. This program helps seniors with their volunteer efforts with children, adults, animals or larger community causes.
State Grant Assistance
Many states offer grant assistance to the elderly. The money for the grants is provided by a number of organizations and the federal government. Those who need help can apply through a state agency. New York State provides grants to help seniors pay for their prescription medication. Connecticut grants allow the elderly to move into high-quality group housing. The options available in each state can be found by checking the Department of Social Services or the state website.